Re: help with output (for bug reports)

Timothy Payne wrote:
I filed a bug and they want some out put but I don't know how to get it
for them:

Can you attach the output of lspci, and kudzu -p -c network?

Thanks
Tim...

I usually send the output to a file like my example below:

lspci >/home/myhome/lspci.txt

Another way that I use is to open up a GUI text editor as regular user and then run the command as root. I then copy the output from the terminal and paste it in my editor, then save the file. Later, I'd attach the output text file to a bug report.

I favor the cut and paste method because you don't have to change owner of the outputted file. If you run the command as root, it has root as the user and will not open or attach as a regular user.

kudzu is a different story. I'd do this in a terminal without X running. For me, it makes my mouse go crazy within the GUI.

You might run the command and output to file, then
chown /home/myhome/kudzu.txt
the file for attaching to the bug report.

This is just my method. There might be easier ways to get the output that you need for the bug report.

Jim

--
Symptom:		Floor blurred.
Fault:			You are looking through bottom of empty glass.

Symptom:		Floor moving.
Fault:			You are being carried out.
Action Required:	Find out if you are taken to another bar.  If not,
			complain loudly that you are being kidnapped.
		-- Bar Troubleshooting