Re: Help with serial

first thing to do is verify that the hardware is present and working. as root:

# stty </dev/ttyd0

and you might get somethign like this:

root@hostname:/ # stty </dev/ttyd0
bash: /dev/ttyd0: Input/output error
root@hostname:/ # stty </dev/ttyS0
speed 1200 baud; line = 0;
min = 1; time = 0;
-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost
-isig -icanon -echo -echoe -echok -echoke

And if possible, use a terminal program like minicom to verify that
the port will transmit and receive data.  At a very minimum, get a
serial loop-back connector and see if characters echo in/out through
the port just fine.

it does not appear that linux uses the ttyd* serial device names.  try
ttyS0 instead, possibly ttyD0.  I can't (quickly) find a page that
describes the various serial drivers, but ttyS0 is the "normal" way to
initiate outgoing serial connections.

   - Kevin