Re: Installing fedora core on a RH 8 box

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:23:16 -0400, DBS wrote:

> Thanks for the info Colin,
>
> What's your opinion on this, would it be better for me
> to upgrade from RH 8 to core 1 then to core 2 later, or should
> I go directly to core 2?

Doesn't matter. There are enough additional changes between FC1 and FC2.

> Does Anaconda take all of my server settings and convert them over to
> core config files?  Even my mail server config files such as qmail?

No. qmail is not included with Red Hat Linux or Fedora Core. Hence
Anaconda doesn't know about it at all. It attempts at migrating a few
system configuration files to new names/formats (e.g. /etc/modprobe.conf),
but the rest of an upgrade is your task. Examine upgraded packages for
configuration changes, look for *.rpmsave and *.rpmnew files and re-setup
anything that has changed.

> Also if a breakage occurs it is a real hassle to fix on a live server or
> would I
> be better off doing this on a backup sever first, then move existing live
> server
> services to core server?

Of course.