Re: Setting up network.

zuki269@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Not sure about running X though I have seen a reference to X.  I am
> running Grome and everything on the desktop is graphic.

Harry Putnam replied:
> That means X is running.  X is the name of the graphical display in
> linux. Shortened form of XFree86 or Xorg.  Both of which are software
> bundles that allow graphical stuff.

*Slightly* incorrect, but not that it matters now. But you might like
to think of Linux graphics as a stack: one layer builds on the one
below. X goes at the bottom, and does very basic graphic support (it
talks to the hardware). There'll be a "window manager" in between, and
Gnome does all the fancy menus and dialogues.

> It may be wise to stay off the list from here on.  I suspect the list
> readers may be wearing out on this thread.  Besides many of the things
> you need to know about are really just basic linux stuff not
> particularly Fedora related.

I would *strongly* disagree. I'm afraid I haven't been around this
weekend to help (and it looks as though you've been doing pretty well),
but it's still as important that we get the peer review of any advice,
the group effect of people picking up on what looks like minor details,
and we get this into the archives. It's also important for Fedora that
newbies can ask questions on the list, and that they're seen to be
welcome.

Meanwhile, the Original Poster is going through the process of having
his system configuration checked. It's another stack: we're checking
that the low-level stuff is working before we get him to configure
Samba. It's not that difficult in itself: it's just that if he's not
sure what he's doing, it's easier to take him step-by-step.

Good luck!

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Which do you consider was the stronger swimmer,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | (a) The Spanish Armadillo,