SOLVED (mostly) - Re: cd/cd-rw confusion and hanging WAS: argh! 'cdrecord --scanbus'...

On Sunday 15 August 2004 04:19 pm, I wrote:
> just trying to mount one of the two ATAPI
> devices will cause an unkillable hanging process. Either the CD-RW or
> the CD-R. - this must have something to do with (here is where I try
> to pretend I know what I am talking about) SG_IO in the 2.6 kernel,
> no?

OK - and the magic trick was... rebooting. of course. I still remember
how to do that from my Win95 days. I didn't do anything else to solve
the problem other than post a PO'd message to this list and make an ass
of myself, maybe that helped.

I was able to make a coaster with k3b. But now it looks like there are
"DriveReady SeekComplete Error"s on /dev/hdc (the CDROM drive) and "cmd
0x28 timed out" - but once DMA is disabled it works. Is the CDROM drive
failing?

thanks

-S