Re: cd/cd-rw confusion and hanging WAS: argh! 'cdrecord --scanbus'...

On Sunday 15 August 2004 16:19, Sy Beamont wrote:
>On Sunday 15 August 2004 03:30 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>> Yes, ide-scsi is gone, clearly explained in the FC2 release notes.
>> Worth to read.
>
>point taken but in any case this has nothing to do with cdrecord
> that I can tell. As I said, just trying to mount one of the two
> ATAPI devices will cause an unkillable hanging process. Either the
> CD-RW or the CD-R. - this must have something to do with (here is
> where I try to pretend I know what I am talking about) SG_IO in the
> 2.6 kernel, no?
>
>I read the release notes and the list of common issues I found at
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-June/msg04502.html
>but other than the new cdrecord syntax nothing is mentioned. Do I
> need to update modules.conf somehow?

It isn't modules.conf anymore, but modprobe.conf.  I also don't see
this problem, /dev/cdrom is a softlink to /dev/hdb, and if a readable
disk is in the drive, it will mount with a
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" (even if its a data dvd)

This syntax for cdrecord -scanbus works:
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc4]# cdrecord --scanbus -dev=/dev/hdc
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a29 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'LITE-ON ' 'DVDRW LDW-451S  ' 'GSB6' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
[root@coyote linux-2.6.8-rc4]#

And I've not made a coaster yet, using k3b of course, there's really
no other as well developed.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)