Re: pop3/imap server - possibly stupid question

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am So, den 15.08.2004 schrieb Samuel Sieb um 5:31:

Ian Laurie wrote:

Am I correct in thinking you cannot retrieve root's email
remotely from a Linux box using pop3 or imap, even when APOP authentication is active?

It would make sense I suppose, my pop3 server works for
all users except root.

On most current systems, root can't even get email, it gets redirected to another user. What mail server and pop server are you using?

That is a bit curious and misleading answer. Of course root van get
email.

Not entirely misleading. Yes, you can send mail to root, but root may not get it. :-) I've only been using postfix, not sendmail, so that is why my answer may have appeared misleading. Here is a quote from the postfix aliases file:

# For various security reasons, postfix WILL NOT deliver mail as root, so
# ensure that the root alias is aliased to a HUMAN user, as otherwise
# mail may get delivered to the $default_privs user (nobody).

Also, I'm using dovecot for pop3/imap, and similar to what you mention in the other email, it is hard-wired to not allow root to login.