Re: RHEL and Alsa

Bjorn Andersen wrote:

Hi
Sorry for writing in this list, but i dont know where else to write...

I have RHEL3 WS, but it cant find my sound device (2.4 kernel and OSS).
Is there any where an guide to install Alsa sound on RHEL? i know the
http://freshrpms.net/docs/alsa/ but cant find any rpms for RHEL. Maby i
can use the RH9 source pacages, but where can i find them? And where can
i find the sources of kernel-module-alsa so i can compile it for RHEL?

You can get the source rpm's from freshrpm's. Get the alsa-driver, alsa-lib, and alsa-utils source rpms and rebuild them:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target athlon <http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/alsa-driver/alsa-driver-1.0.5a-1.src.rpm>alsa-driver-1.0.5a-1.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild --target athlon alsa-lib-1.0.5a-1.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild --target athlon alsa-utils-1.0.5a-1.src.rpm

(replace athlon with your cpu type)
Then, go to the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/athlon (replace athlon with your cpu type) and install the newly created rpms. Then run alsaconf, and modprobe snd-card-0 and modprobe sound-slot-0. Be sure and turn the mixer volume up.

When you upgrade your kernel, you will have to recompile the alsa-driver source rpm. You will only need to install the kernel-module-alsa rpm for the new kernel.