java setup on FC2?

    I have been using Sun's j2re and j2sdk for 1.4.2_05-fcs (installed
with their rpms) with no problems in terms of the mozilla plugins.
However I am building some software which seems to want to compile
java code with javac during the build. I noticed that while Sun
installs their java in /usr/java they seem to have no mechanism
to set up environmentals or symlinks to make the directories in
there like bin available on a system level (so javac can be
automatically found). Is there a correct approach to making these
directories available at a system level other than just adding

set path=($path '/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/bin')

to your .cshrc? I am surprised that the rpm didn't come with
/etc/profile.d/j2re.[c]sh template scripts. Thanks in advance
for any comments on the cleanest approach to this problem.
                           Jack