Re: Read After Write

jludwig wrote:

I skimmed and greped man cdrecord (man cdrecord | grep verify) and found
nothing.

You could though do a compare (cmp)
mounting the ISO on a loop and do a directory cmp.

I'm not trying to check an iso. I'm using a DVD as a backup device.

I'm rsyncing whatever I want to backup to a special location (/snapshot/boxname/Thu.040812) on a separate physical volume and from there I cdrecord that location to the DVD. My version of a disk to disk to tape (D2D2T) only substituting a DVD for the tape.

I used diff -r to compare the hard drive location with the DVD, but diff complains when it hits a socket file causing the return code to indicate a failure when none actually exists. The -r option to diff was attractive since I didn't have to use find coupled with zillions of cmp executions to compare file by file.

The thought of abandoning diff -r and replacing it with a find/cmp combination was distasteful, so I thought about it and figured I was wasting my time doing the compares if cdrecord or the O/S did it as a read after write process. Trouble is I couldn't find an authoritative source telling me that a read after write is being done and I've got to have some assurance that the DVD is an exact copy of the staging area.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx