Read After Write

When a DVD or CD is burned using cdrecord, is the media checked via read after write?

Is the application (cdrecord) responsible for read after write; is the operating system/driver responsible for checking that what was supposed to get to the media in fact actually made it; is anything responsible for this?

If I burn a CD or DVD, should I run a comparison after the fact or is that a waste of time?

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx