Re: Services Configuration Tool problems

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 08:17 -0400, Jorge Luis Gonzalez wrote:
> I'm trying to use the Services Configuration Tool, but can't find how
> to save my changes.  The "Save" and "Revert" options are grayed out.
> I'm running the tool as root.
>
> The tool doesn't seem to reflect the state of the underlying files, at
> least for non-xinetd services.  For example, there's a daily cron job
> installed for yum-update, but the Services Configuration Tool shows
> yum as being disabled for all run levels.

In the case of yum, does the file /var/lock/subsys/yum exist? All the
initscript really does is create or blow that file away. If you look
in /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron, it only runs yum if the lockfile exists.

So, if the service is disabled for all run levels, it means it won't get
started automatically when you enter that run level. If it is currently
disabled, it means when cron runs the yum script, it won't do anything
because the lockfile is not created.