Re: trying to revive an old pc

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 03:39 -0400, Craig wrote:
> | now, the point... they are trying to install on a old PII-300 64mb and 1
> | mb video card and they have a problem installing the fc2 it would just
> | restart after menu for installation

It restarts after which menu?

If it hangs at "reading package information..." then make sure the
"Linux Swap" hard disk partition is approximately 192 MB.  Automatic
partition will create 188 MB swap partition for a system with 64 MB RAM.
Also, make sure you enable swap space when it asks.

Once the system is installed disable all non-essential services (run
system-config-services).  That should greatly improve performance with
only 64 MB RAM.

> In fact, 64mb is the bare minimum for a text install
> and 192mb minimum for a graphical install.

More RAM would be advisable but it is not required.  I've installed on a
number of systems with 64 MB RAM or less.  I just now finished
installing a system using the graphical installer with 64 MB RAM and 188
MB swap.  I encountered no problems during installation.  40MB RAM still
seems to be the minimum for text mode install since my posted FC2t1
minimum ram tests earlier in the year.

I have a Pentium 90 MHz laptop running GNOME on FC2 with 40 MB RAM.  I'm
using the kdrive X server to conserve RAM and I have disabled all
services.  Otherwise it is a normal installation.  It is slow but it
works just fine.  Such a machine works very well when combined with
XDMCP.  With XDMCP you can comfortably use the standard X server since
all the applications are running remotely.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/