Re: New Hard Disk

James Pifer wrote:

> I have a system with a 20gig drive. I'd like to move the whole install
> to another drive, 120 gig, so I can use the 20 gig drive in another
> system. I have the 120 gig drive installed right now as a slave.
>
> Can I?:
> 1) Create the same partitions on the new drive (boot, /, and swap)
> 2) boot off Knoppix and mount all the drives, 20 GB and 120 GB
> 3) use cp and copy the data from the 20 to the 120
> 4) remove the 20 and make the 120 the primary and only drive
> 5) reinstall(or restore) grub on the 120
>
> Is there an easier way to do this with both drives in the same machine?
>
> Maybe dd?

Personally, I would use "cp -a",
taking care not to include directories on other partitions
(eg if /usr/local is on its own partition
don't include it when copying /usr).

I don't see any need to use Knoppix in this way.
I've done this several times,
just copying the partitions on /dev/hda to those on /dev/hdb .

I'd start by getting working systems on both /dev/hda and /dev/hdb
with a choice between them in grub.conf .
Then I'd modify /etc/grub.conf and /etc/fstab on /dev/hdb
and run "grub-install /dev/hdb"
and then make the new disk the master.

There is a very good Hard-Disk-Upgrade HOWTO (or mini-HOWTO).
When I last looked at it it still used LILO,
but I don't think there is any major difference with grub.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366