Re: trying to revive an old pc

On 08/11/2004 10:20 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Craig wrote:

Kent Emia wrote:
| my fellow friend in school have a presentation about linux and they are
| tasked to report on fc2 luckily i have cds to lend to her,
|
| now, the point... they are trying to install on a old PII-300 64mb and 1
| mb video card and they have a problem installing the fc2 it would just
| restart after menu for installation

Sorry to have to point this out, but it won't load on that system. Take
a look at the minimum requirements to load fc2 on any computer and
you'll see that 64mb isn't enough for a graphical load (which I'm sure
is what she wants). In fact, 64mb is the bare minimum for a text install
and 192mb minimum for a graphical install.

I think you are too pessimistic - I was running FC-1 on a 300MHz PII and it ran reasonably well with KDE. I'm pretty sure it had 64MB RAM - I wasn't able to get find any more RAM which would work in it.

I still have the machine, but it is out of commission due to lack of a monitor.
When I get one I'll try upgrading to FC-2,
and I don't really expect any problems.

The statement that you need 192MB for graphics is nonsense.

[snip]

It's the installer that's more demanding. There are a lot of reports of people getting FC1 and 2 to run with graphics on low memory. But the installer requires 192Mb for a graphical install--which is what Craig said.