Re: trying to revive an old pc

Craig wrote:

> Kent Emia wrote:
> | my fellow friend in school have a presentation about linux and they are
> | tasked to report on fc2 luckily i have cds to lend to her,
> |
> | now, the point... they are trying to install on a old PII-300 64mb and 1
> | mb video card and they have a problem installing the fc2 it would just
> | restart after menu for installation

> Sorry to have to point this out, but it won't load on that system. Take
> a look at the minimum requirements to load fc2 on any computer and
> you'll see that 64mb isn't enough for a graphical load (which I'm sure
> is what she wants). In fact, 64mb is the bare minimum for a text install
> and 192mb minimum for a graphical install.

I think you are too pessimistic -
I was running FC-1 on a 300MHz PII and it ran reasonably well with KDE.
I'm pretty sure it had 64MB RAM -
I wasn't able to get find any more RAM which would work in it.

I still have the machine, but it is out of commission
due to lack of a monitor.
When I get one I'll try upgrading to FC-2,
and I don't really expect any problems.

The statement that you need 192MB for graphics is nonsense.
I have two identical laptops (Sony Picturebook C1VFK).
One has 128MB RAM, and the other has 256MB.
I don't normally notice any great difference in the way they run.

The OP should try installing in text mode
(answer "linux text" to the boot prompt)
and then try installing X afterwards,
eg using system-config-display.
I would guess that the install program has problems with the graphics card.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366