Re: Core 2 / hotplug / madwifi

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 08:32, Paul Peeler wrote:
> My apologies if this has been covered. I am at the moment looking to
> pull the archives of the list in an effort to see if it has.
>
> I am running on a Thinkpad T40p. I need APM in order to sleep the
> machine properly as there are a lot of issues without it. In addition,
> hotplug finally works in the manner that I have hoped after what is
> seemingly a 2.6.6 patch.
>
> I have recompiled a custom version of 2.6.7 with APM support that
> seems to work without issue, though when I try to compile the madwifi
> driver against that new kernel, the process fails. Is there anyone
> here that has either had a similar problem, or that has experience
> with the MadWifi driver? If necessary I can provide the output of the
> failure, though I am looking to find if there is someone actively
> working on a similar problem.
>
> Paul

Paul,

I have been using the MadWifi driver on FC2 with each of the kernels
that Fedora has released and while I have gotten "warning" errors with
each compile, it has been successful in usage....  In fact, because I am
lazy, I have a script that downloads the latest CVS and then compiles
it.  Requirement is simply that I have the kernel-sourcecode package
installed.

> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # update_madwifi.sh
> #
> # Presumes that we have upgraded and booted to a new kernel.
>
> cd /home/rlocke/Download/RPMs
> rm -rf madwifi
> mkdir madwifi
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/madwifi co madwifi
> cd madwifi
> make
> make install

And I also reject Kudzu's attempts to configure it and have the files
there myself...

But take a look at the MadWifi FAQ, it also mentions certain things that
must be compiled into your "custom" kernel since you are doing it
yourself....

The FAQ is at: http://www.mattfoster.clara.co.uk/madwifi-faq.htm

HTH,

--Rob