Authentication: NIS vs LDAP

    I've been working with NIS for a while; I've gotten it to work
before, but this time between FC1 (client) and FC2 (server) it simply
refuses to cooperate. And several tens of hours Googling has gotten me
nowhere, regardless of keywords or languages.

    Consistent in the theme is "Why ya using NIS, when LDAP will do?"
and though it wasn't _designed_ for that, people sure seem to like it,
and I'm told it scales well.

    The application is for _internal_ authentication so the demand for
internet-hardening isn't such a concern.

    Has anyone done this, and do you have a HOWTO you like for this?

Brian FahrlÃnder                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller