Re: FC2 Ethernet and Wireless settings

Indeed. I miss the original pcmcia method of configuring the cards.
you could id them by mac or some other distinguishing trait.

I've occasionally re-implemented functionality like that, but usually
what I do instead is that I ahve an 'idle' script that detects active
network connections, refuses to shut down, but eventually kill
sendmail, eject pcmcia card, and then put the machine to sleep.

On resume, it just tries network key 1 (work) and network key 2 (home)
and 'any' (open network).  It tries to get a dhcp address within 5
seconds, otherwise it switches between the keys until it finds a
network.  If none of these is correct, I have the keys encoded in
/usr/local/etc/iwkey to do it "by hand", for example
'/usr/local/etc/iwkey george_house' or '/usr/local/etc/iwkey
michelle_house'

So it's still very much a manual process, but I prefer it that way,
since I can usually type the command faster than some automatic system
trying all possible networks that I've visited before.

I can clean up and post the script if anyone's interested.

   - Kevin