FC2 Ethernet and Wireless settings

Hello List,

This is going to be a bit long, I am afraid ...

I have installed FC2 on a Dell notebook.
I have a Xircom PCMCIA card for ethernet connection at work and at home (two different sets of IP numbers), and a NetComm wireless card for home use. The NetComm card is listed as requiring the prism54 driver, and is a rebadged Intersil, I guess.
I cannot install both cards at the same time, as the Xircom card is double thickness.

When I boot up with the wireless card installed I cannot see the network.

The GUI Hardware Browser sees the Network Device: INTERSIL ISL3890, Driver prism54, Device /dev/eth1
The Network Devices Control reports eth0 to be active. The Hardware page lists:
Xircom Cardbus Wireless eth0 OK (wrong)
Intersil ISL3890 Ethernet eth1 configured (wrong)
3Com 3C501 Ethernet eth2 configured (where did that come from?)
If I try to create a new wireless device, I find I cannot select Intersil or the prism54 driver.

So then I tried the command line:
"iwconfig eth1 essid any channel 2 mode managed ap any key xxxx- ... -xx commit", with the result "Set failed on device eth1 no such device".
I then tried the same command on "eth0", which was successful. However, the command needs to be run again after a reboot.

I am confused. My questions:
1. Is it possible to set up the Xircom card, with work IP numbers as "eth0" and with home IPs as "eth1", and the wireless card as "eth2" , and not have to reconfigure everything every time I change location?
2. What is the correct way to set up the wireless card - should it be possible with the GUI screens, should I use terminal commands, or should I just edit the appropriate configuration files directly? (If so, which?)
3. Should I identify the gateway using the GUI screen or the"route" command. They seem to have different effects.

If you read this far, thanks for your patience. I would be grateful for any help.
Regards,
Peter Smith
WBM Pty Ltd.