Re: uninstalling kernel-smp

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 16:09, Michael Mallete wrote:
> hello everyone!
>
> i didn't know what kernel-smp was about so i installed
> the rpm i found in the fedora updates section, in my
> single processor i686. of course this is wrong, i
> believe, because kernel-smp is for multi-processor
> systems (please correct me if i got it all wrong).
> anyway, i tried executing this: rpm -U kernel-smp, but
> i'm just getting  an error message. i want it
> uninstalled. how?

It should not cause any bigger problems to run a smp-kernel on a single
processor-machine, correct me if I am wrong?

How do you handle your packages on your machine? Aren't you able to
uninstall it with the package-handler, the way you installed it?

Anyway the "-U"-option is not the option for uninstall, it's for
upgrade. To uninstall its "-e" (for erase), and you have to write the
whole package name, including version, to uninstall it.

To find our the package-name try a query (option "-q", i.e. "rpm -q
kernel") and the results are your installed kernels. Then take the
smp-kernel and try "rpm -e <smp-kernel-package-name>".

Greetings,
--
Thomas B.
ICQ UIN#: 28869987

I told my kids, "Someday, you'll have kids of your own." One of them
said, "So will you." -- Rodney Dangerfield