Re: Automatically mounting USB flash disks/ USB thumb drives

Another way to do it is use the automounter. For example, to automount at /mnt/usb/flash

- Create a mount point (directory): /mnt/usb
- Edit auto.master to include the line
/mnt/usb /etc/auto.usb --timeout 5
- Copy auto.misc to auto.usb
- Comment/delete everything out in auto.usb and include the line
flash -fstype=ext3 :/dev/sda1
(Change fstype to whatever you have, I typically format my usb drives as soon as I get them)
- Then run, service autofs start (might want to start this up at bootup, easy to run redhat-config-services)

To use it, all you need do is enter the directory /mnt/usb/flash, it will mount it upon entering it, and unmount it
5 seconds after you leave it.

Might not be exactly what you need, but its an idea that suits my purposes fine.

Cheers,
Daniel Stonier.