Re: Need copy tool for heavily hardlinked disk

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 14:47, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I need a fast hard disk copy tool, and am looking for suggestions.
>
> I have a hard drive partition with 170GB of data in it.  I want to copy
> the data into a partition (made with more inodes) on another drive.
>
> Of course, since I am changing the file system on the target, I
> cannot do a simple dd for an exact copy of the partition.

A long time ago, I believe I used tar with cpio to copy large amounts of
data from a Vax 11/780 over multiple serial connections to a SCO unix
box.

Not sure how fast this would be for you but it might do the job for you.

I setup one end to grab the data and send to the port and on the other
system I had a job that grabbed from the port and dumped it into the
file system.

Check out the man page for cpio.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>