Re: [SOLVED] Re: Increasing the maximum number of open files

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:19:12AM +0200, Rainer Traut wrote:
> Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>
> >Caution... a program that opens so many files likely has a bug.  It
> >might be opening all the files in or under a dir or doing something
> >else silly.  It may get you at a later time.  If 1024 was the limit
> >today, then when will the limit of 90000 be hit...
>
> 90.000 was just an example.
> There are programs which need many more than 1024 open files and they
> are not buggy in this context.

You are correct.  As others indicated with examples, there are
applications that correctly have tens of thousands of open files.

I should have been more clear to say that it is important to
understand what the program is doing and why, when I composed my
caution.

There is clearly a case for extreme programming where extreme system
params and configs are needed.  The programmer and the user of that
program should be aware of this.  In fact the program should be aware
and in the error condition exit messages and help screens give clear
diagnostic messages and hints for tuning.

On the converse much of what looks like extreme programming is lazy or
more commonly prototype programming that has made it big.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004