Re: List membership suspensions

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Matt Morgan wrote:

> On 08/09/2004 01:45 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>
> > Recently I've received several emails from the list Gods.
> >
> > > Your membership in the mailing list fedora-list has been disabled due
> > > to excessive bounces
> >

> > In the past, queries about this to the list admin address have gone
> > unanswered. Without evidence, there is no way for me to take this up  with
> > my ISP, so the problem goes unresolved.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how I might address this?
> >

> I don't know how to get help from the admin, sorry, but when I've had similar
> trouble before it's been for one of a few different reasons:
>
> * Are you often at or near your mail quota, so that your ISP may be bouncing
> messages because there's no room in your Inbox?
> * Do you have any filtering turned on locally, that is, is it possible you're
> bouncing the messages yourself? In that case you probably also have logs that
> indicate why.
> * If not, and your ISP is bouncing the messages before they get to you, maybe
> they have some spam filter set too strictly. Can you have the fedora-list
> address added to a white-list somehow?
>
> Even without evidence, you can probably ask your ISP under what circumstances
> they ever bounce messages, and then start ruling things out from there.

I had my list subscription automatically turned off once.

I had sent email about this to the list admin. He replied with the log
of 'rejects' from my e-mail hosting service.

I was able to go back & forth a couple of times and get the issue
resolved. This was a while back.

The e-mail hosting floks wanted to enforce a flow-control on high
bandwidth pumping hosts (apparently ISPs can negociagte some of this)
So, the first step they took in this direction is to reject e-mails
from hosts they suspected taking too much of thier bandwidth :(

Satish