[OT] IP Routing/NAT address Question...Issue between me & my ISP...Please advise..

Hi all

This question is not related to Fedora, however, because of the kind of
Linux talent available here, I am posting this question here. Please do
help.

I am using a cable ISP who uses Linux based servers, and provides
outbound connectivity using 172.16.x.x IP range, NAT & transparent squid
proxy. Since, I wanted to connect my computer to the net directly, I
asked for a static real-ip.

I myself use a dedicated Linux GW with 192.168.x.x address range, a
dedicated minimum install linux GW with NAT & transparent squid
proxying, a Green Subnet & a DMZ subnet on which I have putup a
apache/qmail setup. I use port forwarding from the GW to DMZ for mail &
web. I have also setup a qmail server on the Green Subnet, which I use
to send my outgoing mail presently, till my real IP really works (DMZ
server is normally off, unless testing, till I can get the setup right).

Now the issue is this. They have allocated an IP  202.x.x.139 and have
given me a GW address of 202.x.x.137. When an incoming http request
comes to my server, it records (apache logs) the GW address i.e. 137 as
the visitor address in my apache logs in all cases....original IP
address of the visitor is not recorded.

On the other hand, when I send my mail, the server on the other end
records two IP addresses in the email headers...one is the IP address of
my server in the Green Subnet of my LAN i.e. 192.168.x.x and the second
is 202.x.x.130 (My ISP says 130 is the alias of the 137)

Also, when I visit any site like checkmyip.com, it shows my IP address
as 202.x.x.130.

Now, the argument is this...I say all sites, irrespective of the
protocol (smtp/http outgoing/incoming), only the ip address issued to me
i.e. 202.x.x.139 should be recorded everywhere, as the job of the
gateway is routing & not two-way port forwarding and the source IP
addresses should not be magled/changed by the Linux router/machine..

On the other hand, the ISP claims, its not so....when using Linux for
routing the gateway address will be recorded...and the results or the
so-called problem issues I am raising are invalid. As the Linux machine
is sending the packets to the net, it has to tell its IP in the packets,
by changing the source address.

Please let me know, what is correct. The packets should be routed to the
network from the network CIDR address, which I think can be derived from
the IP address and the routing after that should be taken care of by the
ISPs Linux routers/servers, without mangling the source IP of the
packets.

If we cant work it out, I will have to shift to a dial-up connection,
which is quite expensive compared to flat rate always on connection.
However, this goes against all I think I have learned about Linux &
TCP/IP and before I get the service disconnected, I want to tell the
person that he is wrong here.

Can someone please advise me, if I am right? and what the ISP seems to
be doing & what he should be doing?

Sorry for a loooong post but I thought, I rather err on the side of
clarity.

Hope you guys can help me, like so many others you have helped.

With best regards and thanks in advance.
Sanjay.

P.S: I have CCd this email to the tech guys of my ISP,....if you are not
using any SPAM challenge/blocking devices & it would not be too much
trouble, please cc the replies to them also.