FC2 - K3b problem with Plextor DVD Writer - was Re: What dvd writers are Fedora compatible?

Mick Mearns wrote:
--- Gerry Tool <gstool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am thinking about buying an internal dvd writer and want it to be useable in Fedora. What makes/models have people successfully used?

Thanks.

Gerry Tool

dmesg:
hdc: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Using K3B.
Mick

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about which DVD writers were compatible with Fedora. I decided on the Plextor PX-712A. I downloaded and tried to burn the FC2 DVD (FC@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) using K3b version 0.11.12 in Fedora Core 2. I used the menu Tools > DVD > Burn DVD ISO image... I get an error with the following Debugging Output:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version:0.11.12
KDE Version: 3.2.2-6 Red Hat
QT Version: 3.3.2

growisofs
-----------------------
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/gerry/FC2-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/hdd obs=32k seek=0'
:-( Failed to change write speed: 8310->11080

growisofs comand:
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/home/gerry/FC2-i386-DVD.iso -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -speed=8

I tried Auto speed and also tried setting Speed to 1x, with the same results.

Since this was my first try at using the new drive, I booted to Windows XP and installed the Roxio software that came with the drive. It successfully burned the DVD, using the same blank disc (the one that came with the drive) I had tried in K3b. Roxio claimed it burned at 12.1x.

Does anyone have a clue what is going wrong with K3b? I have been using K3b for all my CD writing needs and hope to use it for DVDs also.

Thanks.

Gerry