Re: maximum mount count

David L Norris wrote:

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 14:51 -0700, alan wrote:

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Ed Sawicki wrote:

I'm running Fedora Core 2. dumpe2fs tells me that the
maximum mount count of the root partition is "-1". The
dumpe2fs man page doesn't document what -1 means.
Does someone here know?

-1 is your maximum mount count. -1 effectively means "never force a
check based on the mount count."

So, -1 is the same as zero it seems.

If I adjust the maximum mount count to force the root
file system to be checked on the next boot, the check fails.

Fails how? Fails as in doesn't run? Or fails as in says the filesystem
is corrupt?

The latter. It says the filesystem is corrupt.

Yet, when I check that partition with Slackware, it checks
OK. Does someone know why this happens?

Maybe it is set to "never check"?

The check must be forced if the filesystem was cleanly unmounted.

No, I run fsck manually with Slackware and it works - the filesystem
is OK. Yet, Fedora sees the filesystem as corrupt.