Re: SATA question on nVidia chipset MB

William W. Austin wrote:

I have sevearal MB's using the Nvidia nForce2 ultar 400 chipset, with built-in raid and SATA.

Several people have told me that the sata_nv driver does not work yet, but I have also read (in email on another list) that someone has it working successfully, leaving me confused. (I need to replace 2 drives and if sata is working will go that route instead of ultra133 ide).

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this one yet?

The motherboards in question are all Gigabyte GA-7nnxp.

Your mobo uses the sil 3112 SATA chipset, which has some support. I boot with a standard IDE drive, and have a second drive on the SATA. It's working fine, but I'm not getting full speed out of the drive yet (it's a little slower than my IDE drive, but will speed up when SATA support for the 3112 gets more mature).

I have not tried to boot from the SATA drive, so can't tell you about that.