Re: rndc problem

I've been using bind for dns services on my primary and backup servers for years now, although it's been a while since I manually configured the files. I've been using the linuxconf admin tool to maintain the zone lists. Also keep in mind that I've been using bind 9.2.1 on a RH 7.2 box, and I've never really had to deal with rndc or bind-chroot until yesterday.

I installed FC2 from iso images and initially accepted the default install. I plan to use this test box as a secondary dns only, and it was only after I started adding secondary domain information that I noticed it wasn't polling the main dns. I tried forcing a zone update, and then discovered the command channel problem. I removed bind* and caching-nameserver, and reinstalled with yum, but ran into the same problems.

Yes, I do have a firewall configured with iptables, and I tried opening port 953 to localhost, but still could not get rndc to open a command channel with bind-chroot installed. Are there any other ports that I must open for bind-chroot?

I've gone over the named.conf and rndc.conf files in detail, many times, and everything checks out fine. Also considering that it works fine without bind-chroot installed indicates no problem with the key information.

I've narrowed the problem down to bind-chroot configuration, and am open to suggestions at this point. I've thought that it might be a firewall issue, however I did open port 953 without success... perhaps another port I'm overlooking?

Without bind-chroot installed:

$ netstat -tualpen | grep 953
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1#953 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 25 5068 2185/named

Cheers and thanks... Dino