Re: Installing boot loader in Master Boot Record on a Running System

Fred Grant wrote:

David White wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

David White wrote:

I couldn't... find any combo of commands that would boot to MsDos
...can't determine a method to make 1st primary partition active.
But it dual boots to FC2 & WinDoze 2000

Rodrigo, Scott, & James,

A big "Tip of the Hat" for all your input on finalizing my grub.conf

Grub.conf now works for pure MsDos.

I have one hard drive & dos is in the first primary partition. (I use it to restore drive_image backups etc.)

AFAIK there is no pure way to boot directly to dos when win 2000 is also installed. (2nd primary hard drive)

FWIW here is what I did.

Downloaded a dos program bootpart v2.5 and made a copy of the dos boot sector (512 bytes)
...named the file dosboot.bin
Copied dosboot.bin to C:\ on the 1st primary partition.
Booted to a dos floppy & reloaded the system files - A:\sys C:
Rebooted to GRUB

I can now boot to FC2, Win2000, & MsDos

grub.conf (dos portion)

title MsDos v6.22
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader /dosboot.bin

GRUB provides "hide" and "unhide" commands to enable booting msdos or windows when both are installed on a system. Google should provide numerous examples. I think this would provide a simpler solution.

I could not find any examples dealing with pure msdos. I did try the hide and unhide commands but with not luck.
I would prefer a simpler solution.

Good Luck,
Dave