Re: Installing boot loader in Master Boot Record on a Running System

David White wrote:
> I couldn't... find any combo of commands that would boot to MsDos
>             ...can't determine a method to make 1st primary partition
> active.
>
> But it dual boots to FC2 & WinDoze 2000

Do you actually need to set the primary partition active?

My set-up is this:
1. Install Win98 (Dos should be the same). Let it create a physical
   partition of a suitable size, and leave the rest blank.
2. Install Win2K. Let it create a partition for itself (specify the
   size. It will create an extended partition covering the whole of the
   disk, and a logical partition of the requested size. It will also
   copy the DOS bootsector to C:\bootsect.dos.
3. Install Fedora. Partition as required: Fedora is quite happy having
   everything in logical partitions. Install Grub to the MBR.
4. Modify /boot/grub/grub.conf somewhat as follows:

title Fedora Core (Linus kernel 2.6.7)
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 ro root=/dev/hda6 acpi=force
title Windows 2000
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
title Windows 98
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader /bootsect.dos

Hope this gives you ideas...

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "It took people a long time to figure out which
westexe.demon.co.uk    | machine was doing it, and even longer to figure out