vsftpd slow

I am a new user of Fedora core 2 after having been a Mandrake user for
several years.

When I log on to vsftpd using WS_FTP LE from Windows/XP it takes nearly
a minute. When I try uploading a directory of files it is very slow and
seems to want to change port numbers after every file. The individual
file transfers seem to be be going OK, there is just a long delay
between the start of each upload.

I am running the stock Fedora core 2 installation with no changes to
the default configuration file. All activity is on a local LAN. I am
able to transfer the same directory to a Mandrake 9.2 installation with
proftpd in less than a minute, I cancelled the operation using vsftpd
after about 30 minutes with only about 10% complete.

I have the same WS_FTD LE login options for both systems.  Any help
appreciated.

Roger