From: Kenneth Porter [mailto:shiva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 7:03 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

--On Friday, August 06, 2004 6:14 PM -0400 jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> So does this mean everyone wants their own selfish interests? I thought
> this list was to further Fedora's growth and help make it grow.

The two are not incompatible. If you're on this list, presumably it's in
your selfish interest to see Fedora succeed. (Note that success doesn't
require growth. It may help, but I don't think it's a defining criterion.)

More importantly, what constitutes success? To me, freedom from one
country's stifling employment laws and several countries' barbaric mores is
important. But that's more a packaging issue, and is already under
discussion in the dev group: What belongs in Core, and what belongs in
Extras?

I'd argue that any "decorative" parts of Fedora belong in Extras, including
any sample content. But that makes the packaging problem tougher because
most packages come with their sample content as part of the same tarball,
and the RPM paradigm is to put the whole shebang in one SRPM, which is used
to build several binary RPM's. To accommodate separation of content from
function, we'd need to be able to split binary packages from a common SRPM
between Core and Extras. So a corporate user wanting source to a
corporate-only binary package would get the tarball that includes all the
un-corporate extras.

Question: How much sample content comes with a package like GIMP? What
other programs come with lots of samples?

The problem also gets harder when we consider graphic content that's part
of the UI, like toolbar icons. We (the Fedora community) can ship a fairly
tame skin in Core and any "un-corporate" skins in Extras, but that is again
a non-trivial packaging problem.