Re: SB Audigy now (mostly) works

Fritz Whittington wrote:

On or about 2004-08-06 05:08, Rahul Sadotra whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Hello,

Thank you Markus and Aaron for your responses.

--- Markus Huber <humarfedoralists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Aaron Gaudio schrieb:

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 21:03 +0100, Rahul Sadotra

wrote:

The only thing that doesn't work is CD playing. I
still can't get CD output from the speakers (even
though I have put both CD and Audigy CD dials to

full

volume), although I can get CD output through
headphones and change volume through headphone

volume

control on my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives (Which I
believe was suggested).

Have you tried using xmms's digital audio

extraction?

Have you checked
the analog multimedia cable(s) between the drive(s)

and your soundcard?

Or fitting the cable between CD-Player and motherboard? It sounds stupid, but I was that stupid who forgot that ;-)

I know that all cable connections are correct in my
machine because I can get CD music output in Win XP
(my PC is dual boot) through speakers whether I use my
CD-RW or DVD-ROM drive. Plus, I got CD music through
my speakers when I used Red Hat Linux 9 (again, it
worked on either drive).

Just a minor nit-pick here (which also I think is the source of your problems under Linux). It is *NOT* sufficient to say that all your cable connections are correct just because you get CD music output in Windows XP! Windows XP (and 2000 as well) default to the mode where the audio tracks are read *digitally* off of the CD and the resulting data is sent to the sound card just as if you were playing a WAV file.
Linux, on the other hand, defaults to just telling the CD to start playing a certain track, and expects that the *analog* audio that results (like from out of the earphone jack, which you say is playing audio) will be routed from the back of the CD drive into an analog input on the sound card. This is the cable that you probably don't have. It's easy enough to open up your box and see if there is a smallish round audio-type cable coming out of the back of the CD drive and routed to your sound card, or to a connector on the motherboard if your sound hardware is built-in to the motherboard. (One workaround to installing the internal cable is to run a male-to-male stereo cable from the earphone output on the front of the CD around to the back of the box and plug it into the line-in input, *not* the microphone-in input, on your soundboard. )

You could also do a negative check, and in WinXP go into the Device Manager, select the CD drive Properties, and UN-check the box that says "Use digital audio for this device". After that, you should have the same symptoms as you do with Linux, that is, nothing coming out of the speakers, but music available at the earphone jack.

As I already mentioned I upgraded RH 9 to Fedora Core
2.  This solved the problem I had of using CD-RWs on
my machine on my particular CD-RW drive (it used to
take a really long time to mount any CD-RW) that I had
- I have no such problems in Fedora Core 2, for CD-RWs
can now be mounted very quickly.  I think the change
in kernel from 2.4.x to 2.6.x helped a lot there.

Unfortunately, CD music in Fedora Core 2 can only be
listened to through headphones at the moment.  But
I'll be okay with that.

Yes, when I use XMMS's CD extraction tool and cdda2wav
to create WAV files there is no problem playing music.

Incidentally, my CD-RW drive is a TEAC CD-W524E, and
my DVD-ROM drive is a LG DRD-8160B.

I should have mentioned my PC is dual boot in my first
post.

Thanks,

Rahul

No need for the cable, just use xmms and play the audio CD's digitally.

Start xmms choose Preferences (Ctrl+P) select CD Audio Player -> (Input
Plugins) -> press the 'Configure' button, ->Play mode: Digital audio extraction

Good Luck,

Dave White