Re: easy install of LPRng for fedora core2?

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Ross Macintyre wrote:

> I'm limited by time, and I need to make a Fedora Core2 system work in a
> LPRng environment.
> ie I have a network of machines which all run LPRng, and I want a Core2
> system to fit in quickly and easily.
>
> I thought I'd be able to install a LPRng rpm alongside the cups stuff, and
> I'd look at configuring cups later.
> So are there any easy ways (compatible LPRng rpms) out there, or is the
> easiest way to download the source and compile (and if so which version
> would be best)

I have LPRng-3.8.22-1 installed on my FC1 laptop.

I must have grabbed the LPRng .src.rpm from RHL9 - and rebuilt it on
FC1.  There was a package conflict with cups - with /etc/printcap
(both packages have this file).

To avoid this conflict I added 'rm -f printcap' to LPRng.spec - after
'configure' and rebuilt the .src.rpm

You coul probably grab a newer version of LPRng from rpmfind.net and
try the same thing.

Hope this helps.
Satish