Re: [OT] procmail recipe advice for spamassassin

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 00:45, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> From the sound of things you are running a full MTA using sendmail or
> procmail.

fetchmail, postfix, and procmail (although procmail does very little, I
let Evolution do all of my filtering into folders).

I'm not sure you'd call it a *full* MTA, in the sense that it isn't open
to the outside world. Because I'm a web developer its useful to have a
mail server running on the loopback interface so I can't test web
applications which need to connect to an SMTP server.

But I do pull my mail using fetchmail, which means it ends up via
postfix and procmail in /var/spool/mail/darren which is where Evolution
finds it.

> If you really don't want to have to wade through the spam
> that spamassassin marks for you try greylisting.

Yes, I've read up on grey-listing a little, and I think I've seen a post
or two on this list about it. The trouble is that I'm not sure if it
would work for me. (But I haven't had a chance to look into it
properly.)

> I implemented milter-greylist with sendmail.  We were getting between
> 3000 and 6000 spam messages a day.  After implementing greylisting we
> get 3 to 10 spam a day.  (that is not a typo, 3 to 10)

I get between 200 and 300 a day. But the trouble is that all the mail is
retrieved by fetchmail, from servers where its already been accepted. I
don't know if grey-listing would work in those circumstances.

> Since implementing this I have been able to get back to doing real work
> instead of fighting spam so much.  :)

Spam doesn't make too much of an impact on my time, but it really does
on my mood. I'm not sure which is worse. Sometime I feel myself just
getting really angry when I'm going through the spam folder. I know I
should try and chill more, but spammers really irritate me. It's the
sort of anti-social behaviour that just chips a few degrees off of the
quality of everyone's lives. They really piss me off.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com