Re: Newbie questions: PDF

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 14:52, Rolan Woldt wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm new in this mailing list and with Linux. Currently I'm running a
> dual boot laptop with Fedora Core 2 and WinXP and am very pleased
> about the overall performance of Fedora.
>
> My first question is about GPDF - when I produce a PDF with OpenOffice
> that has embedded TTF fonts, I just see little boxes instead of
> letters. The PDF file is ok when I check them with Adobe Reader in XP.
> Is there any configuration I have to change or is GPDF just not
> capable to show PDF files with embedded fonts? What are alternative
> programs I can use with GNOME?
>
> My second question is about PDF creation: Does anyone know about a GUI
> to produce PDFs easily in FC2 (like a PDF printer driver in XP - which
> are normally based on Ghostscript)?

OOo has a GUI.. Works for me.
embedded fonts.. what does that mean?
If on CLI, the util's called ps2pdf. You just print it out into
postscript format. (.ps) and then

ps2pdf *.ps

The other thing may be because you lack the fonts? Or maybe your reader
doesn't have the fonts.

Try installing acroread instead. There's one at dags
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/acroread/