Re: pcnet_cs device eth0 does not seem to be present

The interface has not been brought down. I found these lines in lsmod's list:
pcnet_cs 14776 1
8390 6912 1 pcnet_cs
ds 12292 1 pcnet_cs
..
They appears everytime I boot the machine up. And the same problem appear everytime too.
(One thing to mention: I didn't have an ifcfg_eth0 in that folder, till I created it with the line "ONBOOT=no")

I think this a bug of the kernel or something. I found other users of mandrake10 have the same problem. And the same problem appears with FC1 too......

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

We could get into troubleshooting that, checking that the interface has been brought fully down, checking lsmod for dependent modules, etc. But the simplest thing to try is rebooting. If it works upon reboot then the original problem and your consequential problem above are both avoided.

I concur with another poster that one way or another this is a bug. But the tough question to be solved in order to remedy it is the status of hotpluggable interfaces. For instance what is the meaning of ONBOOT when the interface is hotpluggable?