Re: [akonstam: CD writing mystery.]

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 04:25:54PM +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 14:36, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The Nautilus based CD burning system does not work for
me. In thinking about it I decided the problem might be that my new
CDRW devices are 52X but the CD-R disks are rated to write at up to
48X. Could it be that the problems is that interface (unlike xcdroast)
does not allow you to adjust the writing speed? What do you think of that
problem or do you have another suggested solution? For example the
Nautilus CD burning window is really a gui for cdrecord. Is tweaking the
config file for cdrecord maybe the answer?

Do you have a copy of Windows on that same machine? The only reason I
ask is that it might be worth investigating whether the problem is to do
with your drive simply "not liking" your media. I had a problem once
burning some CDs under Linux which I thought was software based -- I
spent ages trying to track it down. Then, out of curiousity, I rebooted
into Windows and tried to burn the CD and it still failed. I then tried
the discs in another machine with a different brand drive and it worked
fine. So then I thought that there must be something wrong with the
CD-RW drive in my machine, but when I tried a different brand of discs
everything worked again. It seems that some drives simply don't like
certain brands of discs -- now, before I buy and blank CDs in bulk I
always try and buy just one first to check it's compatible with my
drive.

Best, Darren

Again we are having some confusion. I have not problem writing the
CD's with xcdroast or with Nero in Windows. In both cases, I can
control the writing speed.

Part of my question is whether changing the parameters in
cdrecord.conf would help with the Nautilus approach?

I just navigated to an iso image and it gave a screen where you could select the write speed through a pull down menu. It is in nautilus-cd-burner-2.6.0-3 that is available in rawhide (development). Is there a similar pulldown selection box in FC2?

Jim