Re: Off Topic - VOIP/SIP gateway

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 18:25, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> We need recommendations for solutions that allows a site to utilize VOIP
> for all their internal voice traffic and then use X number of PSTN phone
> lines to make calls to their clients, friends, etc that are still using
> standard phone equipment, or pass that traffic to a service that can hit
> the PSTN. Things like VOIP enables handsets, gateway boards, Windows &
> Linux clients that can "pop" call information when a call is initiated
> or received, etc are all of interest.

Your answer is Asterisk.  It is THE open source PBX solution.  It is not
difficult to setup, nor maintain.

We have it running in our firm.  We're small, but one office is
connected via a VPN link to the HQ.  The remote office has a Snom 200
SIP phone. Everyone that calls my partner (he's the one at the remote
location) is amazed at how clear the conversation is after we tell them
we are using a VoIP solution.

We've already seen our phone bill drop by over $40CAN per month (small
amount yes, but that's over $400CAN per year). Asterisk has been very
reliable.  There have been some minor problems, such as two dropped
calls (a VPN issue, not Asterisk), but nothing that would be a show
stopper.

We're currently looking at implementing Asterisk for a company that
requires a PBX.  They are astounded at the pricing and at what Asterisk
can do.

Don't wait, give Asterisk a try.  If you like, you can contact me off
list and I can explain a little more about how we have Asterisk setup.
You can also visit our website (www.systemsaligned.com) for our contact
information - give us a call!

HTH,

Ranbir