Re: Eudora and pop3s on Fedora

On 07/27/2004 07:09 PM, david wrote:

At 04:06 PM 7/27/2004, you wrote:

Am Mi, den 28.07.2004 schrieb david um 0:50:

> I have a Microsoft XP system running a Eudora E-mail client (version
5.1).
> I have a mail server on a Fedora system.

> David

Update/upgrade your Eudora version. There were some fixes and changes
since release 5.1.

Alexander

Aw darn.

That costs money :-(

Oh well, maybe I should

david

Switching to Thunderbird from Eudora is pretty easy. And Thunderbird is a much more vital project; Eudora was feeling like it was reaching end-of-life. Compare that to the explosion in Thunderbird/Firefox/Mozilla extensions, for example. Maybe Eudora has kicked back into gear, but with the number of bugs they didn't fix between 5.0 and 5.1beta, I felt like I had no choice but to switch.

We made this switch system wide (200 users) a while back and got very few complaints. I think I wrote up a one-page doc of important differences, that easily could have been shorter. We use IMAP so the issues with transferring mail were very small; I don't know how much POP might make it more difficult for you (although Thunderbird's import options seem very good).

--Matt