Re: Samba in var/log/messages

Alexander Dalloz wrote/ha scritto, On/il 25/07/2004 17:50:

Am So, den 25.07.2004 schrieb antonio montagnani um 16:56:

Workgroups are no boundaries, they are just organisation units. Browsing boundaries are subnets or total different nets.

Not clear to me what you mean: as my Windows network is called Workgroup I would expect that it should have been declared also in Smb.conf
And if I check with Swat I see this declaration but the Smb.conf has no trace of it.Is Workgroup the dafault name of network???
i have to investigate also that Local master options from swat are not correctly transferred to smb.conf (I had to edit by gedit...)

Good suggestion about localhost to be allowed
No idea if I need Wins... ;-)

Depends on your network. Your postings lack this information. If you have just a 192.168.0.0/24 net, then I would switch off WINS.

I have this kind of network........WINS have been switched off

Iptables is on, I can surf my internal network with no problem at all

Switch off iptables internally if you are not sure by inspecting your rulesets whether they interfere with NMB / SMB.

Did you check your settings on the Windows[tm] hosts? From the errors
you posted there is something going wrong with a domain master browser.
Do you run a Windows[tm] host as PDC or an AD server? You may use

local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes <-- ONLY if you have no other domain controller
running

to let Samba control the browse management.

I followed your advice.
I didn't check anything on my brand new laptop, I plugged the network cable (windows XP professional running on it) as soon I got home....
And I see the requested shares.
Furthermore It seems that any warning in var/log/messages about Samba disappeared....

Alexander

--

Antonio

Working with  Mozilla 1.7 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 2
    Uso Mozilla 1.7 su Redhat Linux Fedora Core 2