Re: rpm or pam bug?

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 04:23, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> whenever I upgrade some packages for which there are i386 and x86_64
> versions installed the configuration files are created as .rpmnew or
> saved as .rpmsave files. Comparing these files almost always shows that
> they are identical.
>
> rpm -q --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n' pam
> pam-0.77-50.x86_64
> pam-0.77-50.i386
>
> warning: /etc/pam.d/other created as /etc/pam.d/other.rpmnew
> warning: /etc/security/access.conf created as /etc/security/access.conf.rpmnew
> warning: /etc/security/chroot.conf created as /etc/security/chroot.conf.rpmnew
> warning: /etc/security/console.perms created as /etc/security/console.perms.rpmnew
> warning: /etc/security/group.conf created as /etc/security/group.conf.rpmnew
> warning: /etc/security/limits.conf created as /etc/security/limits.conf.rpmnew
> warning: /etc/security/pam_env.conf created as /etc/security/pam_env.conf.rpmnew
> warning: /etc/security/time.conf created as /etc/security/time.conf.rpmnew
>
> Tom

This is not a bug, this is by design.

What if you had customized the running .conf file and then you did an
update that overwrote and removed all your custom configs.  It would be
very frustrating and time consuming.

The message tells you the update did not overwrite yours, but that if
you check there might be something new to look at and maybe the default
config did make changes that will help.  It gives you the choice of
using the old one or the new one without losing your costomizations.