Re: Printing to a Windows print server with Samba

A. Lanza,

My setup is a bit different (RH Linux 8 running Samba with Canon S750 shared), a Windows XP box as a client and a Fedora Core 2 box as another client. Some of this should still be relevant.

On the FC2 box I used the System Settings -> Printing menu to get the "Printer Configuration".

- Click on New (to add a new printer queue)
- Enter the name I wanted for the queue (Canon)
- Click Forward
- In the "Select a queue type:" drop down choose:
  "Networked Windows SMB".
- My samba server (or in your case your Windows machine)
  should appear in the list.
- Click the black arrow next to your machine name and choose the
  printer being shared from your Windows machine.
- Click Forward
- In the Printer model dialog box, choose the printer that more
  closely matches your Printer. (for Canon S750 use S600 driver).
- Click Forward
- You should get a dialog with the following information:
  Type: Windows Print Queue
  Share: //yourwindowsmachine/Printer_share
  Printer: Printer name (i.e. Canon S600)
- Click Finish

That should do it on the FC2 box. Now the biggest issue with Samba/Windows shares is usually permissions. I allow EVERYONE to print to my printer share. If you are going to restrict the share to specific users you need to make sure you have a username on the Windows machine that matches the FC2 box. Though this is where I get fuzzy so I can't really give you specifics on this part.

Good luck.

Jesus

A. Lanza wrote:
Hi,

all printers in my network are connected to machines running Windows and
i have no local printer connected to my Linux box.

I know that this can be accomplished by using Samba. I have Samba
services running on my PC and i'm able to connect to some network file
shares on Windows computers, but i cannot get to print on those servers.

I've tried to use the FC2 printer config. utility to connect to a
network printer using SMB protocol. But with no success :(

Can anyone give some advice?

Thanks a lot,

AL