Re: Package Management

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 06:39:11PM -0400, John Dangler wrote:

> In reading the man pages for rpm, I didn't see a way to take a
> package currently in the rpm database and sync it with one that I've
> downloaded and installed from source.

Think about it differently.
Build an rpm from the downloaded source and install it.

There are two common source packages. Tar balls, and rpm src
packages.

If you start with an rpm src package you should have a package
that builds you an rpm.  i.e. all the bits, makefiles and spec files
are there.

Once you have worked through the rpm src flavor it should
be possible to work with the tarball and build an rpm that
replaces the one on a system.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.