Re: Pesky virus

Am Fr, den 23.07.2004 schrieb Michael Sullivan um 17:14:

> I've got a small problem.  Last week I received in my
> non-espersunited.com email account an email from someone I don't know
> with an .exe file as an attachment.  Naturally I assumed that this was a
> virus, and wrote back to the email address it was from informing them
> that they had a virus.  I've received several similar emails on through
> the week, most were unique but all followed the same format:  One line
> of text and then the attachment link, usually a .exe or a .zip file.  I
> haven't opened any of them, but in the past couple of days I've begun
> seeing them in my espersunited.com email accounts.  I wasn't too worried
> about it until this morning, when I received a message from another SMTP
> server saying that my mail was undeliverable to some person's email
> account.  I looked at the message sent and it was indeed from me, but
> the message body held the same one line and thesame EXE/ZIP file
> attachment as the ones I'd received from multiple sources.  I use
> evolution as my email client.  Could I be infected with this virus?  I
> didn't think Linux was susceptible to virii - only hostile shell
> scripts.  Is there a way I can test if I am infected, and if I am, is
> there a way to find the virus so that I can destroy it?

Such mail like you described are at 99.99% virus/worm mails - targeting
Windows[tm] systems (we all know the usual suspects always running with
administrator account permissions and the and other aspects of the
system layout making life easy for worm authors).

To test your system against virus you can use the free anti-virus
scanner ClamAV (actually version 0.75 is out). Though I doubt you are
infected with a worms/virus. If you check the suspicious mails (the
attachments) you got you will quite certainly find out that they are for
Windows[tm] systems. Maybe it is one of the new virus shortly coming
out. It is often enough if one of your friends, using your 'private'
non-espersunited.com email address is infected and has you in his
address book.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 17:18:46 up 1 day, 2:06, load average: 0.04, 0.18, 0.27