kmid ac97 (sys crash fc 2)

Tried playing a midi file through my AC 97 but get no sound. Works fine with mp3 and ogg via xmms.

How do you get midi sound in kmid with AC 97? (All volume sliders look ok in kmix.)

But worse, when I try to adjust or configure anything in kmid, the system lock up tight (seems crashed since can't get in from other computer via ssh like when just X crashes).

Playing with kmid controls while mutely playing a midi file always causes crash.

-gene