Re: sendmail issue. rick

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 16:16, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> I wasn't trying to be mean.  It's just that far too many people have
> tried to set up sendmail or mail in general and have become open relays.
> I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen to you.
>
> Again, I'm not trying to be overbearing.  I'm perhaps a bit hyper-
> sensitive about this as I run a mail system that has 10,000 domains and
> about 68,000 users.  My systems have to handle between 16 and 20 million
> messages a day (yes, million) and fully 40% of that is spam, viruii and
> worms.

> If you're going to tinker with sendmail, I highly recommend the "Bat
> Book" from O'Reilly.
>
> >>Given your age, I'm impressed with your attitude towards learning and how
> >>you have applied that attitude towards implementing your mail server. We all
> >>have to start somewhere.
>
> I must concur with that.  Jonathan has the right attitude.  It is often
> difficult to convey the proper tone in a text message and if mine was
> misconstrued, I appologize for that.
>
> >>Keep up the good work Rick.
>
> I'll try.
>
> > I think we all go through stages where we think we know it all and swat
> > people that don't know it all - forgetting that we too started out
> > knowing way too little. Then we come around and realize that it is best
> > to share the knowledge and encourage people to learn. It's never
> > personal. Thankfully, I am in share mode now.  ;-)
>
> As am I.  I think the tonal shade of my message was misinterpreted.
> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
> -                 All generalizations are false.                     -

Its ok, I think the misconception came from the fact that you mentioned
that people should not mess with sendmail if they know not what they are
doing, and I was just simply pointing out that everyone is a newb at
some point, I am just trying to learn, but thanks for the warning I was
aware of being a victim of being used by spammers, I am actually now
looking into creating ssl authentication for all SMTP outgoing email, as
another measure against spammers.  Also as far as the book goes I will
look into that, I actually have a long list of books from O'Reilly I
would like to read, so I just kinda put them in order of what I want
most, and get them whenever I get a chance.  So if I keep on with
sendmail that will likely end up on my list.