Re: sendmail issue. rick

Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 10:02, Cowles, Steve wrote:

Jonathan T. Steadman wrote:

Rick,
I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time if I
don't try then how will I learn?

I wasn't trying to be mean. It's just that far too many people have tried to set up sendmail or mail in general and have become open relays. I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen to you.
                                 You are correct in your assumption
that I am a newb in this area, but it is a learning experience for
me, I realize the risk in being a victim of an exploited mail server,
and trust me while I am doing this I constantly check mail logs, ect.
and I have no problem with unplugging myself from Internet
temporarily until the problem is fixed, my server is not running
anything vitally important just a lot of servers running because I am
trying to learn how things work on linux box, I am only 16 and like I
said trying to pick up on some new things this summer, because I dont
have a lot of time during the year due to the fact that I try to
focus most my effort on school for the last couple years I am in high
school.

Again, I'm not trying to be overbearing. I'm perhaps a bit hyper- sensitive about this as I run a mail system that has 10,000 domains and about 68,000 users. My systems have to handle between 16 and 20 million messages a day (yes, million) and fully 40% of that is spam, viruii and worms.

Anyways I appreciate your concern and dont think I just take
your advice fix it and then, when I go to another setup, I ask all
over again, I try to learn from advice given on this board, and take
notes on things I think are worth remembering, read through as much
as I can on links that are handed to me, as well as bookmark them if
I don't have the time to read them immediately. Anyways I have
gotten the answer to my problem and all things are working well now. Thanks a lot to everyone who helped with this one it is much
appreciated.

If you're going to tinker with sendmail, I highly recommend the "Bat Book" from O'Reilly.

Given your age, I'm impressed with your attitude towards learning and how
you have applied that attitude towards implementing your mail server. We all
have to start somewhere.

I must concur with that. Jonathan has the right attitude. It is often difficult to convey the proper tone in a text message and if mine was misconstrued, I appologize for that.

Keep up the good work Rick.

I'll try.

I think we all go through stages where we think we know it all and swat
people that don't know it all - forgetting that we too started out
knowing way too little. Then we come around and realize that it is best
to share the knowledge and encourage people to learn. It's never
personal. Thankfully, I am in share mode now.  ;-)

As am I. I think the tonal shade of my message was misinterpreted. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - - VitalStream, Inc. http://www.vitalstream.com - - - - All generalizations are false. - ----------------------------------------------------------------------